Keep it really simple

I love it. I'm down to a couple of changes of clothes, a towel, toilet kit, guitar, good books to read, a place to hang out, and 24 hours in the day. It totally fits my psyche, and reminds me of when I was walking on the camino and hearing from people how hard it was to leave all their stuff behind. It always struck me the opposite way. The stuff is a burden, takes up too much time, energy, focus. I don't think I've ever been happier than on that walk. Freedom....

I'm feeling that kind of groove lately, and part of it has to do with not having a travel partner. Any time I've ever traveled with someone,(except for my son), it's been the end of the relationship. You want to break up with me? let's take a trip, that'll do it. It's as though there is something encoded in my soul which is a serious 'loner'. I look around at all the couples who are having meals together, poring over maps, checking into the guest house, and rather than feel envious, I feel really glad that it ain't me in that duet.

I reckon I'm not alone in that comfort zone, uh let's see... there's the Unabomber, and I don't know, Rip Van Winkle, and I'm sure a few more examples. But this period of time in which I wake up when I want, go where I want, talk to who I want, think a lot, write a lot, make a lot of music, read a lot, it's just delightful. And if I have to choose between loneliness and being burdened, give me the loneliness any time. Don't know why it's like that, just is.

I've been in Thailand about a week and a half, and pretty soon, (day after tomorrow, most likely), I'm gonna grab a little mini-bus up to Pai, for a couple of days in the hills near the Myanmar (Burma) border. I hear it's a cool spot, great for trekking, with a hip and musical vibe to boot. Sounds like about a 2 day stay up there with some hiking and hanging out on the agenda. After that, I'm planning on coming back to Chiang Mai and starting a trip into Laos and then Vietnam.

No comments: