Hanoi middle of the night

What, I haven't heard a honking horn for minutes, likely cause it's 5 in the morning and I've been up since 3:30 and sleep just ain't happening, especially with a cab coming at 6:30 to get me to the airport. It was a bit of a comedy show getting out of the dorm in the dead of night, not wanting to wake up my neighbors. I had packed in advance and thought I was all ready, but maybe not. First I couldn't get the damn door open to leave the room. Was it locked, what the hell? I turned the lock and pushed, turned it the other way and pushed, tried the handle and pushed, WTF?

Oh yeah, right, I had to pull. Oops. Reminds me of those signs you see occassionally on doors. 'For best results, pull' Well shit, it was pitch black and I was confused. then I kept forgetting stuff, my locker key, my guitar and I must have been in and out of the room 5 different times, with a loud click each time when the door closed and the lock hit the slot. Sorry fellow travelers, I'm a moron.

The computers are full now with the fellow insomniacs checking their facebook or whatever. Others are checking out early as well, as this place is a beehive of activity. There's a cab, hopefully not for me, as it's 40 minutes before I want to go, better check, however...

Best move of the day yesterday was me passing the hat for our Vietnamese 'tour guide' a really nice and caring young guy who did his best to give us a good experience on the overnight. I got talking with him at one point about his work, his goals etc, and eventually, as a New York Jew would, I asked him if hewas well paid for his work. Not really, he makes $5/day. I let my fellow cruisers know and we came up with $10 and he was exteremely appreciative. Well deserved and thank you, my man, you did well.

Taxi is for someone else, mine will be along later. I have some kind of ear infection, first medical thing on the trip. I'm carrying Sipro for any serious gastro intestinal stuff that comes up. I wonder if it's an antibiotic that would help my ear. Pretty sure I need one. Last time I had something like this, in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, it didn't improve until I got the drugs. I think I'll Google Sipro and see what the heck it is.

Ready to roll back to Thailand, and hoping for a sweet reunion. I have a little bit of nervousness about returning there, as up until now,everything has been forward, but I made the decision and let's go and see. And if it's not what I want, I'll still have time to go to either the beaches of southern Thailand or Cambodia and Angkor Wat. So no worries mate, just enjoyto ride. I'm starting to see the finish line, and it's not a great feeling. I like being on the road, not ready for it to end.

No comments: