That's right, folks, I'm gonna stick around another half hour at least and see what might occur once I make it past the one hour market. Uh, well, um, er, nothing much to say. I think I'm kidding, but who knows for sure.
So what about this desire to actually sell a song and make a nice paycheck. I wrote a love song, 'All I Want This Holiday...' and it's just plain commercial, which is a good thing. How can I turn it into a fat paycheck? Well for starters, and I hope this isn't an abdication or a stall technique, it would be good to have three or four songs that are really viable commercially. That way, if I can get the first one heard, and the person says, 'what else ya got?', I'd have something for him to listen to...
I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of songwriters who think their stuff is great, even when it ain't. How does one go to the head of the line? I've got it in my head that one has to pay incredible dues, make a million hour commitment, move to Nashville, fight it out with everyone else, knock on a million doors, change one's life completely, Move to LA, master the technology etc etc etc, all of which play into my 'what's the use' mentality and keep me idling discontentedly. Is there perhaps another way to sidestep this mental hurdle, because holy crap, I'm sick of this particular dead end.
I have one friend, Sally, who is friends with a big songwriter in LA who has allegedly asked her for lyrics over the years. When I played the song for her, she immediately wanted to get him a copy of it, she thought it was great. So I'll try that avenue. Another person to contact is my cousin Karen, who is a long time Indie promoter in LA and who is very connected there. This particular song is the opposite of what she deals with, but I wonder if she'd give it a listen and maybe a suggestion. So those are two little steps I could take right away to at least get the ball rolling and break my personal impasse of ennui. OK, let's at least do that thing and then the next thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment