Nov 28, Muslim Holiday in Malaysia

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the holiday is, without much success yet, but I'll get a handle on it before the day is done.... got to talk to some more Muslims. OK here it is... Awal Muharram, first day of the first month of the year (named Muharram). (rosh hashana, but maybe I won't mention that particular analogy) Interesting that today is my mom's birthday, she who has recently severed ties with her long time Jewish community (it's a long story), and today is a Muslim holiday. I'm sure there's some connection I could make, (but it ain't coming quite yet)

Feels like a day to stay quiet, after yesterday's foray into the wilds of Monkey Beach. I need a new book to read, maybe get a haircut, Geez, this is some fascinating reading, huh? But I have a lightness in my heart that I quite enjoy, a sense that things are good and simple and everything is as it should be.

I found a park along the esplanade where kids play on the swings there is a shady place to sit and read, maybe grab the guitar, stretch out and let the day happen. Georgetown is a busy place, so it's nice to have a little retreat in the city where I can get out of the traffic and stretch out, knock out some pushups and crunches, just live, nothing complicated about it.

After scratching my way through the past three nights, I changed rooms, got a cheaper one that doesn't have bedbugs (I had thought maybe there were some invisible mosquitoes that had been plaguing me), so now I have a small $7 room with a light and a fan and no critters. Ah yes, the basic things. Bathroom down the hall, the place is clean (they mop the floors every day), and it's a good spot, especially minus the bugs. Oh well, they got 'em in Manhattan too, along with the rats.

Yeah, this town is big on rats, apparently. The sewers flow under the sidewalks and every now and again I catch a glimpse of a good sized rat heading for cover. There must be millions of them underground. (nice image) 'Come to Georgetown where every year is the year of the rat'

Happy Holiday!

No comments: