One-trick pony?

Yep, that might be me, a one-trick pony..... however my trick is pretty magical and it fills me with some kind of spiritual fulfillment, my self-criticism notwithstanding. It's the music thing, and the fact that alone among my contemporaries, I've dragged along a guitar so I can continue to express the world through music. It doesn't always lead to transcendence, but it does enough of the time to make the extra shlepping worthwhile.

Other folks have their Mac Books, laptops, cameras, flash drives etc and I'm living in the 60s with a guitar and a journal and time on my hands. But wow, some of the moments that result are just thrilling. I'm thinking specifically of our group's theme song 'Bhang Lassie', which I composed over a couple days last week. I managed to refer to each member of the posse in the lyric, so there was some kind of group ownership of the song and people will remember it forever, I'm guessing.

It kinda started when Julian, our funny Frenchman was drinking his Bhang Lassie (pot milkshake, basically) and someone asked 'Do you feel anything?' He responded 'just a leetle bit' (strong French accent). The sound of his answer made Asta (from Lithuania) crack up a little bit, and when he repeated the phrase a couple minutes later, she had the same reaction, as did I. So that phrase 'just a leetle bit' became part of the song (an important part as the audience will eventually join in thee with a smile.

The two German girls each asked me, unbeknownst to the other, if I could play the song 'Over the Rainbow', so that line made it in as well. My British buddy, Neale uses the term 'chuck it' with that cool English accent, so that got in there too. And then it's my job to craft it into a whole, make it sound good and solid and funny and ours. It's as close to shamanism as I can get, because there is something divine that happens when I try and put it all together. And then when we sang it on our final night togther, it was very special, very bonding.... and of course people made copies with their laptops, flash drives etc.

Am I missing something by not having 'the gear'? Very likely so, yet there is something in me that wants to keep it this way, simple and old school. (although of course, it's not really old school to be writing a blog at an internet cafe, but you get the point). I think in this world, most people find the level of technoloy they're comfortable with, and by 'most people' I probably mean 'me'.

No comments: