Things are different today...

It's another world when you cross the border.  Different language, different money, food, attitude.  I'spent today getting acclimated to Siem Reap and Cambodia... walked around the town, eventually rented a bicycle ($6 for 4 days, nice three speed).  Rode along the river, got the lay of the land a bit.  Tomorrow I'll try and find a tuktuk guide who speaks good enough English to give me a good tour of Angkor Wat, which is about 4 miles north of here.  I hope to find someone to share the price with, so I've got my eyes out for a westerner who might want to go along as well

Even though I was prepared to resist the border scam when locals try to overcharge you... by 'helping', I still got took.  But it was by the van company where I bought the ticket.  Just before the border they stopped at a restaurant and made the spiel.  If you give me your passport, I can get the visa, no waiting. When I resisted, he got hostile (that should have been a tipoff, but I was afraid that maybe I'd get screwed on the other side, miss the bus or whatever, so I did it his way.  A Czech couple said forget it, he got hostile with them as well, and I was curious to see how it would work out for them... No problem, they made it fine... now I know.  And it occurred to me that if I was in the driver's situation, I'd probably do the same thing... make a buck when possible.  It's a ripoff and I wasn't gutsy enough to call his bluff.  He called mine... oh well, fuck it.  ($20 I won't see again)

We arrived after dark but there was a small fleet of tuktuk drivers ready to pick us up and bring us into town to the guest houses.  I ended up in an OK place, looked around for something cheaper today and was ready to move, but got the woman to lower the price to keep me there.  It's a great $8 room.  I'll stick around.

When I was walking around last night, I was approached by dozens of tuktuk drivers wanting to take me to the 'boom boom'zone.  I hadn't had that much attention since walking around Castro St. San Francisco in 1980.  And like that time, I didn't take them up on it.  Now that I'm getting around on a bicycle, I get to avoid that come on.  It's a relief.  Not much to report beyond that, looking forward to Angkor Wat tomorrow.

Oh there's one more thing... the people are nice, On my walk I saw a little spot where a woman was dishing up food for some locals.  She had 4 or 5 big pots with chicken and veggies, a curry dish, beef and peppers.  I got some food to go, super cheap, 'same price as Cambodian' she assured me.  Lunch was a buck and it was tasty.  I told her I'd go back tomorrow, it's right around the corner.    Earlier I saw some locals having coffee and I sat down for the same.  For some reason it doesn't bother me to not be able to communicate, though they do try to speak a little English.  I just watch and smile and feel content.  I'd rather be there than in places which cater to tourists.  Same as it ever was...

No comments: