My favorite restaurant...

I have a favorite restaurant here, very near the beach, small family operation, not well known, delicious and cheap food, very nice people. It's under some big trees, and it's one of the breeziest, most comfortable places to hang out on a hot day. I was having an incredible sea food amok lunch there half an hour ago. Incredible because the owner was likely showing his appreciation for me being a regular customer. He made a special bowl for me, big shrimps, hunks of calamari, some fish and veggies in this thick roe-infused sauce, served over rice. ($2.50). Ridiculous, one of the 'meals of the trip', it was that good.

Anyhow Simon is strumming my guitar, various acquaintances are happening by for a chat and a laugh, and then this drunk Russian twenty-something sits down at the table next to us and starts 'communicating'. The guy was pretty hammered at 1:30pm, he was drinking what looked to be a cup of cane juice (local treat), but I'm sure it was laced with vodka or whiskey. Simon switches into a happy reggae groove to the chord progression of Woman No Cry (Let it Be, Rock Me Baby, I'm Yours (Jason Mraz) or any groovy song in that style. Your basic l V VIm IV progression ho ho ho.

He played it in D (the 'People's Key') which I had recommended yesterday. So I start making up lyrics, just having fun and here comes the Russian, he's now making up lyrics, mostly along the lines of 'hey no problem'. So we're singing we don't want problem with Russia, no problem with France, no problem America, goofing around and having fun. It was some kind of real-time validation of Simon's and my conversation of the day before, about what kind of music brings people in, invites participation etc. That progression in that key is can't miss, and here was the proof. The owners are looking on with smiles, it's a lovely scene.

Now the song is over and the Russian is acting the fool a bit, and he calls the owner 'Papa'. Mama laughs and 'Papa' says...'Big Problem'. Totally cracked me up, given the just completed jam. To be able to be funny in a language other than your own is huge, and the guy hit it out of the park. I have to find out his name (I'm there daily, it shouldn't be a problem). A few days ago he was listening to 'Imagine', and I asked him about it. He said, 'my favorite song, I listen every night before sleep'. He's a Khmer guy, special person, special place that his family runs. No, I'm not telling you which one it is. There will be no 'Tripadvisor.com' recommendations here. Why would I want to wreck it?

No comments: