Musical
vignette... I was playing bass with my Thai musician friend, Apple,
and we were having our customary great time together. This Aussie guy
joins us on penny whistle, he's got an assortment of them and he plays
OK. But he plays too much, never puts the damn thing down. Apple is
singing, he's playing, Apple takes a solo, he's playing, there's a quiet
part of the song, he's playing. After
about a half hour, it was getting to me... but how do you tactfully ask
someone to back off a bit. It's not 'my gig' and who the hell do I
think I am? But it needed to be done, for everybody's sake, including
his. So I quietly suggested that he could play less, that way there is
more impact when he plays, and the music has more dynamics.
He
was initially a little put off by my temerity to critique him, but he
did back off some, I could see his mind working as he wanted to play all
the time, but forced himself to wait. The music got better. I think
he understood. Anyhow, last night I'm wrapping up my set in the
restaurant, nice crowd of people, another good time. Dash is going to
sing 'Those Were The Days My Friend' and here comes the Aussie strolling
in with his whistles. The song gets going, he isn't playing because he
wasn't invited but then I look over and say F#minor and he's in. And
he played with restraint and he got his solo and the people were
surprised by the new sound and they applauded for him and for us. Then
we played that Oasis tune 'Wonderwall' and once again, he played with
restraint, left space and it was great. Ahhhh it should always be so
nice...
And it's just getting better and better on that restaurant gig. I'm up to 4 nights a week, I played last night even though I was sick earlier in the day, but between rest and some tiger balm (eucalyptus, I think) under the nose, I was feeling good enough to do the gig. And I'm so glad that I did. It's just ridiculously fun, I am treated like part of the family and they are so appreciative of what I provide... which is 'live music' and the invitation for people to interact. I couldn't be happier with the gig. And then last night this Swiss family was sitting near me, two young kids, some kind of multi racial mix, (I wouldn't have guessed them for Swiss, let's put it that way). And at the end of the night the boy comes to drop a tip in the tip jar and it was a thousand baht note. ($33). I didn't see him do it, but when I checked the jar I found it and asked where it came from. I thanked the family and asked, 'Are you the prime minister or something?' The dad smiled and said no, but they enjoyed the music. Crazy... I made $75 last night playing music in Thailand... and I get to play tonight again... and then it's New Year's Eve. Totally blessed at this point...
No comments:
Post a Comment