I seem to have...

I seem to have a yoga practice these days, and I know this because even though the teacher is off on a 5 day break, I've been continuing to do the postures, focus on the breathing, work on the alignment and flexibility.  My body and my mind want to continue this, so I do.  And it's been a lovely adjunct to life in Chiang Mai.  My ritual this week has been to have my morning coffee, then walk through town to the park on the SW edge of the old city.  I rent a woven mat, take off my shirt, roll up the legs of my workout pants (hey, I'm multi-tasking, getting some sun) and then do about a 50 minute session.  It's not cool to walk around without a shirt (except in the park), so it's a nice way to work on the tan, work on the breath, work on the body.  Work work work, (he said with a laugh).

And what a beautiful walk it is to get where I'm going.  Past the temples, including my favorite one which is just before the park, down the lanes, hearing the birds, avoiding the fried chicken and other grease which calls to me...mellow stroll a mile through town and it gets me in the mood to do yoga.   And afterward, another jaunt home, or to the internet like today, stop off for a bowl of soup from a friendly woman who smiles and is happy to have the farang customer.  I carried on the most rudimentary of conversations today, and for the first time, I regret not being able to say more.  My contribution was this, 'Happy New Year, noodle soup with rice, thanks, not cold today, nice nice, delicious, thank you, see you later'.  I've accustomed myself to the notion that I won't be learning Thai... too hard and I don't really need it in the life I'm living here.... but I think I'll learn a couple of phrases for the next time I stop in for the meal.  'I'm happy here, the people are so nice, I love Chiang Mai'  Yeah, I ought to be able to say those things...

Today is January 2, and I am officially one third of the way through my hundred day visit to Asia.  It's been anything but adventuresome, or even 'travel' for that matter.  I simple arrived here, went back to the place I was familiar with, started living.  And it's been great, and what makes it great are friends, yoga, dentistry, music, more music and the ability to earn my keep here, reading, sun, Buddhism, no weed, I've been totally straight since I've been here.  The Buddhism piece has come to the fore in the past several days.  I've been reading a book I enjoy a lot, 'Best Buddhist writing of 2011' a series of short pieces from different authors, and it's been a wonderful way for me to learn and to try and apply the lesssons to my life.  The main thing seems to be to realize that the stuff that goes on in your mind isn't 'you'.  You are bigger than that, that stuff is just a movie, and if it's a fearful movie, or a covetous movie or a selfish movie, I have the ability to transcend that script, let go of the fear and the want, and just enjoy the big picture.  I'm working on it these days, seeing my fears for what they are... not reality, just a not-useful script and the more I maintain that awareness, the better off we'll all be... So I keep on that path...

New Year's Eve was just great.  Played a fun couple of sets at Dash Restaurant, was in a very good groove at different points, great response, accompanied Dash himself as he was in a singing mood at the end of the night and he really appreciated it.  Made some tips and salary, always nice, then walked down to watch the fireworks which don't really do anything for me (except make me wonder 'why'?).  But the highlight of the night was cruising into CU Corner after midnight as Pavel was taking the stage.  He's a great player, sings in English and Spanish, plays excellent electric guitar, good material, total pro.  Billy from Australia was sitting in for a few songs on bass, and I said, 'Hey Billy, when you get tired, I'd love to play a few'.  He said, 'Last one, Richard' and then it was my turn.  Pavel does this thing where he tunes his guitar down half a step, so he can hit the high notes in a couple of vocals.  Seems dumb to me, and it drives people nuts who are trying to jam with him.  you either have to transpose, or else tune your own instrument down a half step.  Why, dude?  But anyhow, I can handle that... my musician brain can do the calculations and I was in good form, and he was digging the support.  His buddy Drew from Hawaii was playing Cajon (that wooden box you can play rhythm on) and we were sounding GREAT!.  There was a big crowd of friends, including a bunch of regulars who had just arrived back in town, so it was like old home week.

I had been feeling blue earlier in the day, missing my girlfriend in particular, wanting to be with my loved ones, and this party was a pretty good antidote.  There's Coco, queen of the lady boys, there's John, Irish guy living in Majorca, just back in town, there's Keith, big biker dude from the Isle of Man, hadn't seen him until this night.  There's Matt and Debbie just back from Maui.  Oh was very nice to me, setting me up with a couple of drinks, a hug for the new year, it feels like we're friends and that's a great thing.  She was in full-on Oh mode, charging through the crowd, keeping the drinks coming, smiling, dancing her way through, she's an unbelievable waitress, everyone loves and appreciates her and it was something to see her doing what she does.  She's supposedly off to France sometime this month when her visa comes together, off to be with her 'fiance' Michelle (guy) sp?  who everyone says is great.  I'm very happy for her.

So we're playing song after song, the people are loving it, toasting, dancing, celebrating and then it's time to finish so others could play.  Pavel picks, 'I'm a joker' a song I've always really liked.  And the combination of seeing the old friends, seeing Oh, feeling like a part of something over here, jamming hard on the bass, feeling the teamwork with the musicians, singing harmony for 'I'm a joker', it just lifted me into some kind of altered state, (that plus a couple of rum drinks, but I digress) and I was filled with joy, really lifted up.  Gratitude for that and for all of this life...

No comments: