Real World Cambodia

I seem to have stumbled into an episode of Real World Cambodia, that great (and so far non-existent) reality TV show based in Sihanoukville, on the southern coast.  I'm not a fan of 'reality tv' which strikes me as an oxymoron, but that aside, this assortment of characters and cultures would make for some serious entertainment.  Perhaps as serious as the murder that took place a few days ago out at Otres Beach, just down the road.  I don't have the details yet, but there was some big opening of a new venue that was going to take place and one of the people involved was some kind of shady character from New Jersey.  ('Santino', believe it or not).  The night before the big opening there was a wedding at the new venue and one of the participants didn't survive it.  So much for the big opening on the following night... uh 'the grand opening is delayed' ...Police are involved...

Ah yes the police... I hear they make about $50/month here so clearly they need to um, supplement their modest income.  They run the drug trade here.   That bag of weed that the tuktuk driver offers you.... it's under the aegis of the cops.  Ditto for the  'ice' that is the drug of choice for the young people, it's some kind of smoke-able meth, yeah the cops are running that as well.   There is a cadre of young Khmer men who hang out behind a certain bar and it's their franchise.  You see their lower level sellers, white kids, going back there, 'hey have you seen X?   Tell him I need to see him as soon as he gets here.  Lots of burned out young Aussies and others are staying up late, dancing in the clubs, partying with their friends. 

And the Russians.... My buddy Simon (Brit)  is running the cafe with his Russian pal Denis, so Denis' friends use it as a hangout, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes and enjoy the day.  They are really nice, big fans of our music.... which makes me big fans of them.   Sometimes they'll borrow Dennis' boat for a sail around the bay, and I gather it's not the most sea-worthy craft.  Just last week, they capsized repeatedly.... his passengers caught a ride back to shore with a fishing boat, but they couldn't safely tow Denis' craft back, so he spent a 'Man against Wild' night alone on an island, no water, waiting for help to arrive.  The 'coast guard' and yes, I used quotes for that term, showed up and got him back to town.  He gave them $50 for their trouble.   He's quite a character.... sleeps in a mosquito netting tent on the floor of the place he and Simon share.  It's very run down, dirty and uncared for.  When I said, 'Why don't you pay some Khmer woman a few dollars to clean your place, he replied,  'Ve Vant to live like this'  OK, whatever...  And he's a great guy...

And the prostitutes....There are lots of them... working out of bars, walking the strip near the beach, surveying the scene where the white people go to dance.  And there are doubtless plenty of places which I don't know about that cater to the Khmer traffic. Lots of western men parading around with their 'friends'.   It's definitely part of the fabric here and it adds that tawdry element to the TV show.  As long as it's not children being exploited, I don't have a strong opinion... but I keep my distance.   And how many times have I heard the same story....'I fell asleep... too drunk... when I woke up all my money was gone' (Yeah dude, how would she ever think of looking in your toilet kit to find that $350?   Bad luck, bro)

But the real reason why I got the feeling this was a TV show was in the form of Simon's new girlfriend.  It's like in season one, Simon, Jelly and me had some great musical adventures here, and for this season, the producers felt we needed to add a new cast member.  Enter Tiffany.  She's tall, about 5'8", bi-racial and beautiful.  Maybe 40 years old, I'm just guessing, has a 16 year old daughter living with her here.   I don't know her whole story but she has lived in many third world countries, she and her ex husband were teachers in different third world locales.  Anyhow she's been here for 6 months and she hooked up with Simon a few months ago.  She asked if he wanted her to sing a couple of songs at his gigs and his initial response was,  'No, it's my thing'.  Yeah buddy, way to go.... And of course once she got in front of a mic, everything changed.  She's fantastic, has that thing that you can't quantify, but it just lifts the room.  Great ear, great stage presence, not a lot of experience yet, but clearly she should be the 'star of Sihanoukville'.   We sat in at an open mic on my first night here, I played bass for them and this guy Pat Savage  (biker music extraordinaire)  sat in on drums.  We tore the house down.  She's that good, and with a competent backing band behind her... it was pretty magical.

She's really nice.... but don't cross her.  Yesterday, the woman who runs the club next to Simon's cafe played the music too loud, it was hard to carry on a conversation.  Tiffany is like, 'That girl need to be hit in the mouth, she's a birch' (I guess they had some history.   She goes over there  'asks her nicely to turn it down'  and the Estonian owner yells at her 'Fuck you, get out of my bar'  Tiffany responds in kind,  'No fuck you, and turn the fucking music down' And then she goes and starts unscrewing the speaker from the wall...'What you doing?  I call police'  'Go ahead and call the police'....   The owner  eventually turned it down... and Tiffany came back and said, 'I've been all over the world, 'NOBODY is going to disrespect me like that'.   Yeah, 'home girl' came out... it was awesome.  (and probably not the best idea... but this Tiffany is made for TV)

So we've got gigs starting tonight.  I went up to Led Zephyr where we tore it up the first night and had a little meeting with the boss, Andy, and the manager, Tim  and they want us to play there.  It's the spot we played a bunch last year and they like our material and our professionalism, and now there is this hot singer out front... KaChing!  And Simon, Jelly and Tiffany have been playing twice a week at the Kong Bar (a girlie bar right on the main drag and super close to where we are, so I'll be part of that as well.  Hey why not... I hear Louis Armstrong started out playing in brothels.... Simon says it's a great gig, so here we go.   And there will be more... Once we get a few gigs under our belt, it'll get better and better...

Here it is Feb 1, A Saturday morning during Chinese New Year, when the town is as busy as it gets.  Seems like every Chinese person in Cambodia is here for the holiday.  Room prices have been jacked up, but my friends hooked me up with a monthly rental for a fine room in a great location.  I'm paying $220 for the month, just over $7 a day, and yeah, that works.   Add in the delicious fresh barbecued fist that's available every night ($3 with baked potato and salad... amazing!)  And our favorite local restaurant is still here.... They have this seafood amok (local dish) for $2.50 and it is awesome.  Good coffee, good internet, great friends and lots of gigs... Yeah, this will work for February.  

Wait, we need some fireworks and dragons for the closing credits... Tune in next week... and drop me a line if you feel like it... I always like hearing from home... la la la

No comments: