Wistful thinking

Wistful in my last few days in Chiang Mai... Got that sense of 'leaving', saying goodbye again... but hey, with the Buddhist 'let it come and let it go' vibe I've been working on, it's kind of a sweet thing. Took a slow attentive walk (again) through the old city to the park. I know the characters at this point, and they know me... or at least see me on a daily basis. There's the withered old homeless guy who has a little rat's nest of a bed in the shade by the recycling place, there are the old ladies who deep fry some kind of treats which are for sale in front of their place. They cross the street to catch the warmth of the morning sun... It's been quite cool here lately. There's the woman who makes the noodle soup saying 'Hallo' as I pass by. There's the weathered old man pedaling his bicycle rickshaw looking for a fare. Here's the guy in the cluttered fix-it shop, taking apart some small appliance and trying to get it working... every day. The ladies with the deep fried chicken and curries selling day after day. Past my favorite temple with the beautiful chedi behind it, and finally to the park, for a stretch and a meditation and some asanas. And by the time I get there, the wistfulness has given way to a thousand other feelings and it's time to chop wood and carry water, or in my case, sit down, breathe, and watch what happens... I totally love this place.





Had just a great night playing in the restaurant yesterday.  I was totally on my musical game, voice good, playing well, great response.  At one point these two little Dutch boys came up with their mom and started break dancing to my music.  The kids were like 5 and 2 years old.  I let them do it for a couple of songs but eventually asked them to stop because they were blocking the way of the wait staff who were busily trying to bring food to the diners.  But it was pretty cute.


Had some fans in the audience which meant I got to deliver some originals to an appreciative audience.  Once again Noi said, 'We're really gonna miss you, Rich'  The feeling is mutual.  Three more nights at the restaurant, one more night jamming with Apple at CU Corner (tonight), then it's on the road next Tuesday morning to Phnom Penh...

No comments: