They call it 'the oldest profession', but somehow I figure that it's a guy who named it. By labeling it a 'profession', I suppose that lends an air of legitimacy to what seems to be a horrific way to earn one's keep. I had my first sniff of Thailand by night, last night, and it was disturbing on all kinds of levels. Feels like I touched in to some alarming nexus where biology, commerce and morality are fighting it out big time. I'm both grossed out and titillated at the same time.
I really don't know what I'm going to say at this point, it might be non PC, and that's OK, because I'm going for honesty as opposed to dogma. But yeah, part of the allure of coming to Thailand is the idea of getting a massage or two, and if there's a 'happy finish' in there, well, what's the harm? At least that idea was floating around in my mind as I considered the trip.
Maybe it's something like going into a casino when I'm on a road trip. Everybody else does it, right? But then when I get in there and breathe the disgusting air, and see the grey faces staring blankly at the slot machines hour after hour, I always beat it out of there ASAP, it just aint for me. Seems like an OK idea, then it turns quickly bad.
Last night I made my first foray into the nighttime scene of Chiang Mai, not too far from where I'm staying. Everywhere you turn, there are women offering hourlong footrubs for about $4.00. They have chairs for the client and a stool for them to sit on and it looks OK. Many westerners, men and women, take them up on it and you see them sitting back and relaxing while the young women ply their trade.
But go round the next corner and it's a totally different scene: bar after bar with thumping music and miniskirts everywhere, calling at you, inviting you, shaking for you. ewww gross. They're young, cute and obviously interested in making some business. And of course there is the cliche of the older western guy walking with his little 'date' off to who knows where.... but I have an idea...
And then walking home, there are a bunch of prostitutes standing on the road waiting for drivers to pull over and make some kind of arrangement. I walked past one young lady who approached me, put her hand on my elbow saying, 'Can I go with you?', just as I tripped over an uneven curb, which seems like a good metaphor for how I felt about that moment. It's kind of jarring, stumbling, uneven, as I said 'no no no' and kept walking.
All these girls, are they scared? enslaved? abused? It's deeply interesting to me, and I want to spend some time reading up on what's going on, where do they come from? How do they end up in this 'profession'? Are there pimps who run the show? Where does the money go? And more interesting still is the fact that I've been conditioned to lust after that type of female, so what's my personal part in the whole scheme. Last night, I had not an inkling of being interested in any part of it, check that, a foot rub would feel nice, but anything beyond that would be playing right in to the exploitation. And that would feel extremely gross.
I have an urge to talk to some Thai people about it, not the girls themselves, but other folks, just to find out how they feel about the phenomenon. I'm sure there is much that I don't know, and it feels quite significant.
As a postscript, I had a thought as I was in bed last night. I was reminded of my disabled women friends who I met last summer at Mobility International USA's WILD Conferentce. (Woman in leadership and disability). There were up to 50 delegates from around the world who came to Eugene to gather resources, get more empowered, learn skills and fight the good fight. My friend Susan Sygall who is CEO of MIUSA asked if I could write a theme song for the conference, and that it should be called 'Loud Proud and Passionate'. I came up with a groove and a chorus, and then the delegates brainstormed about what the lyrics should be. These are powerful women, leaders from around the world, government workers, ministers, teachers, business owners etc who are fighting for the rights of the disabled.
One of the lines that emerged from the brainstorm, (and which made it into the tune) was this: 'Disabled warriors, fighting for the girls, making our dreams come true' To which I added,'Knocking down the barriers, changing the world, there's nothing we can't do' I get the tingle when I think of it in the current context, so that's my answer for today anyhow. We've got to fight for the girls, not fuck the girls, not fuck with the girls, fight for the girls.
I hear that the music video for that song just got released this very day and it should be on youtube. I checked a moment ago, and couldn't find it, but I'll pass along a link as soon as I do. Peace out, rich
PS I had a funny thought that the westerners should be rubbing the feet of the Thai women, rather than the other way around. But that's just me. If everyone is going one way, somehow or other I tend toward the opposite. But could you imagine. A bunch a westerners turning the tables and serving, rather than being served. It's a good idea, and I'm considering how to make it happen. Vamos a ver, we shall see.
No comments:
Post a Comment