Why did the chicken cross the road? (trick question)

In Chiang Mai, if you're a chicken, you'll never make it across the road. There are a couple of main drags here with no traffic lights and lots of traffic, motorcycles, cars, bikes, tuk tuk taxis, carts, sidecars and the rest. I don't think I've crossed even one time without running, and people, I've still got the quicks. What the hell do old people do? I guess they stay on their side of the road, or maybe steal a motorcycle and get into the flow?

On top of that, you drive on the left here, as in England, so everything is reversed, and I don't know, it's just a little disorienting to be looking one way, starting to cross, and then realize you're about to be mowed down by 8 motorcycles coming from the other direction. Come on dude, focus! You can do this! They drive on the left!

So the question here is better asked, 'How did the chicken cross the road'

Made my first solid connection in this town last night at the jam session on Soi 1 (lane number one, in the old city). It's a cute little cafe/bar where a lot of the local expat musicians hang out and play. They have a little PA system, some guitars, a bass and a keyboard to use, as well as an appreciative audience, who applauded after every song. I showed up late, cause I had fallen asleep and nearly missed it altogether, but rolled in around 11pm to find a lively scene with singing, percussion and some laughs. This British dude Al is one of the leaders, and he's pretty funny, a tasty player with some good patter in between songs. My kind of guy.

I sat in on bass for a few songs, then led a few on the guitar, and people were REAL happy to have me there, and let me know it. I was doing stuff like Hey Good Lookin, Dream, What a Wonderful World, Yesterday, all super accessible, and there was much singing along and good fun. Yep, looks like Rich found his hangout for whatever time I spend here in Chiang Mai. They're all like, 'hey man, will you come back again? we love your songs' Uh yeah, I'll be back. Nice mix of Thai and Farang (white people) in the place.

I was hungry as I missed dinner, but right outside the bar is a local woman with a cart who makes DELICIOUS Thai food to order, and then brings it to where you're sitting. I had fried rice, mixed up with chicken and veggies for a buck. Tasty! Really good vibes on that corner.

So now I'm waiting for the truck which is allegedly taking me off on the trekking adventure and is due here momentarily. I actually locked up my passport and wallet in a locker that the hotel provides, and I sincerely hope that they're both here when I return. Otherwise it's disaster time, here he is, adios...

No comments: